Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sleep : Quality over Quantity

Day #4 - Still Rockstar
Weight - 156#

Most "diets" are different; some are low cal, some are low fat, some are low carb, some are all three, etc. But the one thing that every diet or every personal trainer will agree on is that sleep is a very big key to anyone's fitness, whether you are trying to lose weight or just be healthy.

Sleep has always been a horrible thing for me; I've had sleeping disorders since I started sleep walking at the age of 3. Most of the disorders have subsided by now but anyone that has been following me on twitter over the last 6 months knows that sleep walking to the kitchen for a snack has pretty much been every night over the last 6 months. It's hard to lose weight and stay positive when your sleep quality is horrible and you are consuming an extra 200-500 calories at 2am.

I went to the doctor and got tests done; his only suggestion was to switch from a Paleo diet to a more rounded Zone diet due to a carb deficiency. I started eating oatmeal for breakfast and I was able to sleep 3 or 4 nights without sleep walking.

I've been talking to a couple of girls this week that I know who are doing the same Advocare cleanse that I'm doing and one of the first comments I made was that I wonder how I will sleep while taking these supplements; the smallest things can effect my sleep so I didn't know if I would be sensitive to the supplements or not. Sherris reassured me that she has never slept better.

And I have to agree! I'm on Day 4, and with each day, I'm feeling more and more rockstar. I know there is no one key reason to why I feel this way; but I do feel like all of the reasons are all fitting together in a way that makes me feel the best I have in months. This cleanse, the supplements and this diet are doing my body good, which is making me get fantastic sleep at night (whether it's 5 hours or 8 hours), which in turn is definitely showing improvement in my MetCons at the box. How could you not feel rockstar?



This picture is for my girl Kelsey :) Thanks to my influence, she has discovered the power of the knee high socks during her WODs and she's hooked. Get some, girl! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment