Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Amazing "Grace".....

Today I learned a big lesson in doubting myself and tuning out my surroundings.

I'm back in Phoenix for work this week and since I have to be at the office by 8-830am, I have no choice but to take a super early CrossFit class. I've been to three boxes in the Phoenix area over the past few weeks and all three have been amazing boxes (thanks again for hosting me!) but so far, Core CrossFit in Downtown Phoenix has been the most convenient in terms of location and class time (530am WODs).

Today was my 3rd time visiting Core CrossFit over the past 3 weeks and I do believe that I'm becoming a familiar face with the 530am crew. I was really excited when I checked out the website this morning to see we were doing "Grace" as our WOD for today. I love cleans and I love jerks and I know I can lift alot so I was looking for total domination today.

For those who have never had the pleasure of meeting 'Grace', it is 30 Clean & Jerks, for time, with the RX for Men being 135# and 95# for Women. (Scabable, of course, as all of CrossFit is)


As we were setting up our bars for the WOD, I thought the RX for Women was 85#, so I loaded up my bar for 85# and did a couple of practice clean & jerks to test out the weight. It felt heavy. I wouldn't say REALLY heavy but it was still slightly heavy. Thinking back now, it's kind of a 'Duh!' moment; of course it was heavy. It's supposed to be. Its not supposed to be easy.

I wouldn't say that at that moment I was intimidated. But I made two mistakes; I underestimated my abilities and I got 'uncomfortable' with my surroundings. Don't get me wrong; Core CrossFit is an awesome facility, I obviously love it there as I keep going back, and everyone has been super nice/friendly. But I do tend to go more 'All Out' at my own box versus when I visit other boxes. I really don't know why.

I bumped the weight on my bar down to 65#, Coach Tom said 3-2-1-GO! and bam! I flew through Grace with great time; I finished in 2:28 minutes. 30 C&J at 65# in under 2.5. Within 15 seconds of finishing, after catching my breath, I was instantly dissatisified. There is no doubt in my mind that I could have and should have gone heavier. There are definitely occasions in CrossFit where going heavier could actually be harmful for me; in this occasion, I believe the opposite to be true. NOT going heavier this morning was more harmful for me.

But hey, that's what I love about CrossFit, versus alot of the other workouts out there today. For me, it can be such a humbling and motivating experience and it always leaves me wanting more. Sure, I wasn't happy with my efforts this morning; but I've identified what I wasn't happy with, and I just plan another date with Ms. "Grace" for sometime in the near future. And I know for damn sure that next time, I'll go 'All Out', no matter which box I'm at.

You can't get that from doing bicep curls in the mirror.....

No comments:

Post a Comment