Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Survey says.....

As you can tell by my recent blog subjects, my biggest focus right now is my nutritional intake. I am currently signed up to have six 30 minute sessions with Coach George (Crossfit Invictus) over the course of 4-6 weeks to go over nutrition and meal plans to suit my body type so that I can lose weight and become more fit.

During our first session last week, Coach George had me fill out a survey/questionnaire so that we could determine by Metabolic Type. The survey contained all sorts of questions, ranging from my overall body shape to when I feel the most hungry during the day to um....other sensitive areas. :)

The results? My likely metabolic type is Autonomic Parasympathetic, my Oxidative is Fast and my Endocrine is Adrenal.

Say what?! Yeah, try googling "Autonomic Parasympathetic" and you still won't get a clear answer.

Thankfully, Coach George gave me a handout of all the information I need, which I believe he got from this website.

Metabolic Typing: The ANS, or Autonomic Nervous System, referred to as the master regulator of metabolism, has two divisions: the Sympathetic and the Parasympathetic. Each works in opposition to the other, yet they work together to maintain homeostasis ( metabolic balance and efficiency ). Some people have inherited stronger organs and glands that are stimulated by the Sympathetic division. These are known as the Sympathetic Dominant Metabolic Types®. Other people have inherited greater strength overall in the Parasympathetic organs and glands and are thus known as Parasympathetic Dominant Metabolic Types®.

I am apparently the latter, "Parasympathetic Dominant Metabolic Type".

So what's a Fast Oxidizer? While it might be said that the ANS is concerned with maintenance and regulation of energy, the Oxidative System concerns the rate at which nutrients are converted to energy within all of your body's 100 trillion cells. Fast Oxidizers tend to burn carbohydrates too quickly and thus they produce excess Oxaloacetate. A high carbohydrate diet only worsens the problem, but increased amounts of fats and proteins helps balance their chemistries and normalize their energy production.

Well, this explains why I'm always hungry, even if I eat a big meal. Here is what else I found:

"Rate of cellular oxidation. This refers to the rate at which cells convert food into energy. Some people are fast oxidizers, because they rapidly convert food into energy. In order to balance their systems, fast oxidizers need to eat heavier proteins and fats to that burn slowly. In contrast, slow oxidizers convert food into energy at a slow rate. In order to balance their systems, it's recommended that they eat mainly carbohydrates rather than protein and fat."

After reading the dietary suggestions for a Fast Oxidizer, I am sad to see it is recommended that I eat apples instead of bananas. Oh well :(

For my Endorcrine type of Adrenal, I should do the opposite of what I have been doing; I should stick to lighter breakfast and lunch meals and eat the heaviest meal at night. Which, if you know me, makes sense since my hunger doesn't usually kick in until afternoon anyways. I should also restrict butter, high fat cheese, red meat, salt and salty foods and shellfish. Not too difficult, since I don't eat half of that stuff anyways.

So the plan for me? Basically a balanced paleo diet with a limit on fruits; fruits should not be fully ripened as they are too high in sugar for "Protein Types" (which is what I am). The goal is to keep food in my stomach longer, to slow down my oxidizer rate and keep me fuller longer.

It was also determined that I don't have enough probiotics in my diet so my daily snack has consisted of a small serving of plain greek yogurt, mixed with raspberries. We are also incorporating a cheat day each week on the weekends, either Saturday or Sunday; I was hestiant at first because cheat days scare me but so far, it seems that having one cheat day a week (which, for me, mainly consists of a burger, beer and some sugar versus a more grain-driven cheat day of pasta, rice, tons of bread, etc) actually quiets my sugar demon within, and I can get through the rest of the week without being overcome by cravings.

So far, so good. We took measurements last week (can you say, nightmare! Ugh, I was so ashamed) and we plan on taking measurements again at the end of this week; I can't wait to see the results.

As an ending note - just wanted to say Happy Birthday to one of my favorite salsa cuban chicas, Esther! One of my partners in crime during WODs Gone Crazy, this girl never ceases to crack me up with her random texts and I'm so happy for this recent newly wed!



We are drunk in this picture - don't hold it against us :)

1 comment: