Thursday, May 26, 2011

Back to the recording board....

I'm nearing the end of Week 2 and I still do not have my daily diet tweaked for ultimate J-Performance. I'm getting in tons of protein and good carbs via veggies and the necessary fat but I just burn through food too fast sometimes. So my goal now is to find out what foods keep me the fullest, the longest and which foods give me the most energy. Unfortunately the only way to do this is to keep a 'food diary' of sorts; write down what I eat, when I eat, and record how I feel in terms of energy and hunger. Blah. This is not my favorite thing to do but oh well.

Today's Meal Plan:

Rest Day
Meal 1: Baked Bennes by Coach Michele
Meal 2: Leftover Lamb and Asparagus from last night
Meal 3: Ribeye Steak, Roasted Carrots and Salad



Meal 1's Baked Bennes were very tasty & filling, with endless possibilities. Just a caution: they come out of the oven very hot! I had to cut them up into bite size bits and let them cool for a bit before I could start eating. The link to the original recipe is above, but here is what I modified:

Ingredients:
2 Large Portabella Mushroom
2 eggs per Mushroom
S & P and Paprika

Directions:
Place mushroom bottoms up on a baking sheet. Crack egg and place inside mushroom cap. Sprinkle with seasoning. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes depending on how done you like the yolk. The white will be done in about 20 minutes and the yolk still runny. By 30 minutes, the yolk will be cooked all the way through. You can be fancy and cut them with a fork and knife but I just picked them up and munched away.

**After 20 minutes, I turned the oven to broil for 5 minutes. Then I topped with salsa after removing from the oven.



I probably would have been satisified with just 1 large mushroom and 2-3 eggs on it, as I didn't realize how filling this really was.



Last night's Lamb recipe was very tasty as well; however, this rack cost me almost $20 from Whole Foods so I don't foresee myself eating this every week. :) But if you'd like a nice treat or have access to inexpensive quality Lamb, I'd suggest you try this out. Coach George also has used this recipe for Pork Chops, a cheaper alternative.



Ingredients:
½ cup crushed almonds (or walnuts)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
*1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 (7 bone) rack of lamb
*1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons coconut oil
*1 tablespoon mustard

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine crushed nuts, garlic, rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
3. Season your rack (of lamb) with salt and pepper. Heat coconut oil in a large heavy skillet (cast iron works best) over high heat. Sear rack for 1 to 2 minutes on all sides. Set aside for a few minutes. Brush rack with mustard and rub almond crumb mixture all over.
4. Arrange the rack bone side down in the skillet. Roast the lamb in the oven for 12 to 18 minutes. 12 minutes will give you a more rare rack, 18 for more well done. If you’re cooking two racks, this time will go up to 18 to 25 minutes.
5. Cover it with tin foil and let it rest for 5 to 7 minutes.



1 comment:

  1. I'm totally making those baked bennes soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete