Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Getting High off High Altitude at Crossfit Arsenal

Yep, I'm at it again....all of this travel bullshit I call life...I mean, work! :)

This week I have the honor of being in Denver, CO to, pretty much, become even more nerdy then I already am. I'm taking a Cisco UCCE/CVP Bootcamp. (Say what?) Basically, I'm sitting in front of a computer in a classroom all day, every day, for five days, listening to a guy tell me how this and that works. BORING.

So how am I spicing up my long....boring....days? Getting my ass kicked by high altitude Crossfitting, that's how!

First off, I would like to say that I sent emails to three boxes outside of Denver last week, requesting permission to drop in to their boxes. Yeah, I'm polite like that. All three boxes promptly sent me back very friendly, very welcoming emails. To quote, "Please come to as many classes as you'd like." & "My drop in policy is come in and play!". Sweet.

I dropped into Crossfit Arsenal's 530pm class tonight and I was greeted by a friendly bunch. (Box #45, State #14 or something)



The workout:

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 reps for time of:
Thrusters
Sumo-deadlift high pulls
Pull ups

The weight is Fran weight, if you can RX that. This was a big night for me for two reasons; this was the first WOD that I was going to attempt unassisted kipping pull ups for the whole thing. I saw this WOD posted this morning on the website, and sat daydreaming about RXing this bitch all day long instead of paying attention in class.

The second reason, which I extremely underestimated, was that this was my first high altitude WOD. Yeah, I've been to a bunch of Crossfits but none were ever high altitude.

The result? I did the WOD, completely RX, in 21:06. I had every pull up down and I can say that I felt strong and awesome doing every one. It has taken me a year to get here and I couldn't be happier.

But um...yeah...did you see that time?!? 21:06?! Breathing felt useless the whole time; I felt like my lungs had holes in them. I was sucking in air as fast as I could but it wasn't 'sticking' and my heart was beating so effing fast. Half way through, Coach David had to show me a breathing technique to help try to slow my heart rate. My muscles weren't tired at all during the WOD, so not being able to breathe for 20 minutes was very frustrating, yet humbling. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this week goes!

And on an ending note....those pull ups came with a dear, dear price; I tore my hands in three spots and decided to try liquid bandage for the first time. Have you ever tried it? If not, I'm not going to spoil the ending of this suspenseful flick for you -- just let me know after you've tried it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment