Friday, May 13, 2011

DL for time!

Think about your most hated, dreaded WOD. We all have them. Most will say Fran or Murph. We all have our goats, our weaknesses.

Well, I have a new most hated, dreaded WOD that is now in the #1 spot on my list; I call it the 'Forced Rest by Injury WOD'.

I guess I can consider myself somewhat lucky; I have been Crossfitting now for about a year at 4-6x a week and I have yet to injure myself during a WOD. (I don't count sore muscles or torn hands) And an injury of any kind has been pretty much #1 on my most feared list, as it would drive me crazy if I was not able to Crossfit or even go for a run for an extended period of time.

Le sigh. Enter stage left: A dropped empty 35# barbell on my left foot.

So I was in the middle of a chipper yesterday at Mile High Crossfit; very nice box, awesome friendly group and I even stayed 30 minutes after class to shoot the shit with the owners. Anyways, back to my story. So I'm in the middle of this chipper and if you read my blog a day or two ago, you'll know that my hands are pretty tore up right now from kipping pull ups on Tuesday. So my grip -- not so good. As I was finishing up some good mornings in the middle of this chipper (40 to be exact), I popped the empty bar off my back, into an overhead, and then went to bring the bar down in front of me to gentlely, nicely set on the ground. Momma doesn't drop empty bars, if you know what I'm sayin. :)

Well, my hands had something else in mind and as the bar lowered past my eye level, my hands literally gave out and boom! Dropped the damn empty bar on my ankles, which rolled onto the top of my left foot. Both coaches/owners immediately ran over to see if I was ok and of course, right away I say yes, because lets be honest; the most pain was first felt in my pride. I could not believe that I dropped a damn bar.

Anyways, I stood there and walked a bit on it for a few minutes, and the pain subsided. I decided to finish the chipper, which had some DUs and that was about it in terms of using my legs and feet. (The rest were sit ups, wall balls, slam balls, and rope climbs). Mistake #1 - I shouldn't have continued, even if the pain did subside, just because the inital pain was horrible.



Later on that night, I went about my business with little to no pain so I thought I had dodged a bullet. When I went to bed at 10pm, I set my alarm for 5am because I was super duper excited for my 6am Olympic Lifting class at Method Crossfit the next morning. Mistake #2 - I should have iced my foot and took a pain killer anyways.

Two hours later, around midnight, I'm awoken by horrific foot pain. I tried to get out of bed and found that I couldn't even walk or put pressure on my left foot - what. the. eff??!!! As I start to tear up from frustration, I hobbled to get some Advil and a frozen water bottle I just happened to have and crawled into bed assuming the worse. Obviously I was going to get more sleep in the morning since OLY Lifting was out of the question. (I'm STILL pissed about missing that class)

This blog was actually written yesterday but stupid blogspot was down. As of yesterday and today, my foot is much better and I no longer have a limp, just minimal pain. Looks like in the end, I did dodge a bullet. Phew!

But, just to be smart and safe, blah blah blah, I'll continue with the rest days and start back up on Monday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment