Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Community - Part One

Call it a good cult. Call it a bad cult. Call it whatever you want - but I call it a "Community". And that is only because I haven't found the right word for it yet, as I feel that 'Community' is an understatement at times.

I'm currently on my fourth straight week in Dallas; it has been 30+ degrees hotter here than in San Diego every single day, the travel back and forth is exhausting, and I miss my dog & my gym. However, I still consider myself one of the luckiest girls around. The Dallas Crossfit community has been more than welcoming, and everytime I drop into one of the boxes, I feel like I'm WODing with homies versus just being some visitor from out of town.

The first box that I got to visit when I first started this project was
Crossfit Strong (Twitter: @CrossfitStrong). I was invited to drop in by Jake, owner of Compete Every Day (Twitter: @CompeteEveryDay), who I had met recently on Twitter. I was pretty shell shocked by the heat, even at 630am, but I made it through the WOD plus got my hands on a sweet tank - the Tahiti Compete Every Day tank. I highly recommend you check out his line of shirts & tanks; I loved my Tahiti tank so much that I bought the same one as a gift for my P.I.C. back in San Diego.

During my second week in Dallas, I decided to drop into Crossfit Richardson to throw down with Mr. WODStack himself, Brandon (Twitter: @bgadoci).
Oh course, the WOD contained Double Unders, which I am horrible at right now so lets just say I did not represent Crossfit Invictus very well. Either way, I still had a great time & met some awesome people. Turns out, two of their box members were just in San Diego and paid a visit to Crossfit Invictus the week before.



I love both CF Strong and CF Richardson, but it was recommended that I also hit up Crossfit Dallas Central and meet up with Chase (Twitter: @CaptAmericaXFit). So that is exactly what I did for Week 3. The WOD was Diane, and I was super excited for it, despite the heat, as I've not had a chance to do this one yet. The 155# Deadlifts were cake but lets just say it was good practice for my HSPUs. Congrats to Crossfit Dallas Central for placing 13th at the Games last weekend!

This week should be my last week in Dallas for a while, and although I'll be happy to be home for a bit, I will miss my Dallas homies alot! (Just not the heat, ha!) Mike (The Common Sense Warrior Blog , Twitter: @TCSWarrior) was visiting the Dallas area for work as well and suggested that we drop in on Jake again at Crossfit Strong. Cesa and Jared from Fight Through (Twitter: @FightThrough) also
decided to join us for what would be the hottest WOD I've ever done. I was a bit excited to see that the WOD for yesterday was the 11.2 Sectionals WOD; Deadlifts and Push Ups are easy for me, but Box Jumps, not so much. But either way, I was hoping for a PR. Did I get it? Not so much, ha. I wanted to die. The temperature capped off at 111 degrees, and I'm just not built for heat. Either way, we all had a great time meeting each other, killing ourselves in the heat and the enjoying some paleo dinner afterwards.



Although all of my travels can be pretty cool at times, it does really make me miss home when I'm forced to be away from it for weeks on end. But being part of an awesome community and knowing some great people makes the world of difference and I'm very thankful for the Dallas Crossfit Community!

No comments:

Post a Comment