Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Let's Get Visual!

I know that a large part of the human population is made up of 'Visual' people. I'm usually not that type of person; I just need some kind of concrete goal (such as an upcoming competition) and alittle peer support and I'm good to go.

However, lately on Twitter, all I've been hearing about is "Dream Boards" and "Visual Boards" and "Dream Books" (like scrapbooks). As I was cleaning out my closet the other day, I looked up at the big empty wall behind my bed. I really haven't done much with my room since moving here four months ago because I may be moving to a new neighborhood soon, so why bother? Everything is currently pretty plain in my room.

Well, I may not be a fully visual person, but when I see an empty canvas, I see lots of opportunity. (Have you seen my full back tattoo?! Enough said) So I hightailed it to Target this past weekend and bought some corkboard tiles for my wall. Observe....



I decided on the tiles instead of a board so I can add and organize and rearrange as necessary. I know, it's pretty empty as of now; I'm still trying to figure out how this thing works! :)

While I was at Target, I ran across a sticker sale. Who doesn't like stickers?! Some of the coaches at Crossfit Invictus have even given out stickers after MetCons....what can I say, we're a fun bunch! Anyways, I picked up some nice shiny star stickers for only a $1, and here is what I'm using them for:



Between all of my travels, Crossfit events/competitions, and personal appointments, the only way to keep everything straight sometimes is by using a big ol' wall calendar. So now, at the end of the day, I have started awarding myself with stickers if I had a personal excellent day.

What does that mean, exactly? Well, at first I was going to do it only if my diet was spot-on for the day. But then I decided to expand that to include days where my diet might not be 100% the best, but I did accomplish other things such as PR on a lift, spent some time meditating or reflecting and making great decisions for my future, or setting time aside to do some personal writing.

The stars are a great visual aide for me, to set a goal to see how many days I can get in a row. Every time I think about cheating or making a decision that isn't the best for me, I think about how badly I want to put the star on the calendar at the end of the day, and it has thus far kept me on track.

How do you stay motivated? I'd love to hear other ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment