Wednesday, August 10, 2011

No-Oats-Meal!

It's time for another recipe! Always my go-to blog item for when I'm not feeling very inspired and don't want to waste your time with fluff.

Thanks to my Chicago girl Jenni (@TinyDancer06) for sharing this link with me.

As I'm always saying, I don't really miss gluten or wheat; it's always sugar. I don't miss pizza or bagels or sandwiches....but I do miss oatmeal. This recipe is a good substitute for when you need that comfort food. Depending on how big your 'handful' of nuts is, this recipe actually makes 2-3 servings for me. I've recently cut out fruit so I've subbed canned pumpkin for the banana and it has worked out great! I was also excited to test out my new Ninja food processor.

No Oat Oatmeal....No-atmeal!

1 small handful of walnuts
1 small handful of pecans
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch of ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground ginger
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 banana, mashed
3 eggs
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (add more if you prefer it a little runny)
2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds for topping
1 handful of goji berries or fresh berries for topping



Directions:

Add walnuts, pecans, flax seed and spices to a food processor and pulse it down to a course grain, making sure to stop before it’s totally ground into a powder. Set aside.


Whisk together eggs and almond milk (Doug uses a Blender Bottle) until the consistency thickens a little bit into a loose custard. Thoroughly blend together the mashed banana and almond butter and add it to the custard, mixing well.


Stir in the nut mixture. Microwave or gently warm on the stove until the “no-atmeal” reaches your desired consistency; this should only take a few minutes. In both cases, stir the mixture frequently as it cooks.

Sprinkle pumpkin seeds and berries on top. Add more almond milk if you want. Lick the bowl clean!






No comments:

Post a Comment