Monday, June 27, 2011

Look at those buns!

The question I always ask people when they say they are on the paleo diet is what do they miss the most? The answers are pretty split up; half the people miss the sugar (such as myself) and half the people miss the grains. I could easily go the rest of my life without eating rice, grain, pasta or white potatoes ever again and it will never be a problem. But I'm not gonna lie - I don't get the same satisification when eating a burger with a knife and fork. Sure, I could always go the In-N-Out "Protein Style" route (burger wrapped in lettuce) but still, it's just not the same.

As I was scrolling around Jen's Gone Paleo's blog, one of my favorite stops for tried and true paleo recipes, I found her recipe for Paleo "Sliders", including buns. The ingredients looked simple enough; I already had all of them minus the arrowroot powder so I decided to give it a try. Again, I don't really miss bread that much, and if this recipe had a) complicated ingredients that cost a fortune and/or b) was complicated to make, I wouldn't have given it the time of day.

But I'm super glad I did. You can find her recipe here: Paleo "Sliders", and below, with my notes of modifications.

Paleo "Slider" Buns:
3/4 Cup Coconut Flour
2T. Arrowroot Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
6 Eggs, beaten
1T. Braggs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup Melted Ghee (if you don't do ghee, try coconut oil...but, know that I haven't tried it, so don't know how it will work)

For topping:
1 Egg, whisked
1 T. Sesame Seeds

Preheat oven to 325F.
- Sift coconut flour, arrowroot powder, baking soda, and sea salt into a bowl.
- Add beaten eggs and mix to combine.
- Add melted ghee and vinegar, mix until smooth.
- Scoop batter onto a silpat or parchment paper- lined baking sheet, in 1 T. balls (I used a small ice cream scooper). You should have about 30 buns.
- Brush the tops of the buns with whisked egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and slightly puffed.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a baking rack, to cool.
- Slice in half and serve with "slider" patties and toppings.




My modifications....

1) I didn't have any vingear or baking soda, so I didn't include those. And I forgot the toppings instruction
2) I used 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil instead of ghee
3) Right after mixing everything up, in the correct order, my batter resembled more like pancake batter, so that's what my 'balls' looked like on the wax paper; big pancakes. Which worked out great, as you can see in the picture above. I had some leftover and had to cook in shifts, and I found the batter that sat resting on the counter for 20 minutes was much thicker than when I first mixed it up. So if you want to form the 'buns' ball form that Jen did, let your batter sit for a bit.

So how did it taste? It was amazing, and guilt free! I plan to try this with almond flour/meal next.

And yes, that is mayo on my burger. Don't judge :)

Also in the picture is Every Day Paleo's Purple Cabbage Slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment