Monday, June 20, 2011

You can't have goals without obstacles.....

....or atleast, it seems like I can't. Just when I was finally getting rid of my below the knee injuries and getting back into full-blown motivation mode, I decided to go and try to cut my thumb off. Well, it didn't exactly happen that way but close enough.

I did not get to attend SoCal regionals this past weekend as I was instead in Springfield, IL for my best friend, Debra's, wedding. But of course, as everyone at the wedding will attest to, I was glued to my phone the whole weekend. Before leaving town, I modified my twitter settings to get a text message of whatever the SoCal regionals twitter account was tweeting about. So between a million text messages from them plus friends who were actually there giving me live updates, I knew how awesome Crossfit Invictus was doing as soon as they were doing it. My Crossfit brother, Craig, was attending the Regionals up in the North East so we were swapping updates as well.

All of this, of course, left me super motivated, just as anyone who watched Regionals or participated in them would be. After indulging in wine and wedding cake on Saturday and taking Friday-Sunday off from Crossfit, I jumped right back onto the paleo eatting train on Sunday and planned to hit Crossfit at lunch today (Monday).

Alas, there is no rest for the clumsy. As I was cutting into a spaghetti squash this morning, I actually reminded myself to slow down, take it easy so I don't nick a finger. So I did. Which had the total opposite effect. I don't know exactly what happened, it happened so fast, but the knife slipped and sliced up the outside of my left thumb. I saw bone right away, grabbed a towel as blood came, literally, pouring out and realized that in the 2 months that I've lived here, I never once took the time to find out where the nearest ER was.

Long story short, I called my scientist roommate, he told me how to quickly wrap it, I went to the urgent care by my house, which then rewrapped it and directed me to an ER, where I sat for almost 2 hours, crying in pain and frustration until it was finally determined that I am one lucky son of a gun who somehow, by the grace of God, missed my tendon and I will eventually be just fine. Seriously, I almost lost the use of my thumb.

11 stitches and a vicodin prescription later, here I am. I won't post any gore pictures on here but if you are interested in seeing the damage, check out my tumblr: http://supervixen13.tumblr.com/

The stitches should come out in 7-10 days, which if you think about it, is not a long time at all. Just a week, really. But that means I'm very limited in what I can, exercise-wise, for this week. Which pisses me off, especially since I'm all back to being super motivated. I emailed my coach, CJ, to see what he recommends in terms of modification. Fingers crossed I can still participate, as I love my CF Invictus crew and will hate to be away from the gym for 2 weeks.



On a sidenote - it is extremely helpful to have a scientist as a roommate. Granted, he's not a doctor or even a paramedic/EMT, but he had a whole stock of medical supplies already in our bathroom and he knew how to undress and redress my wound. I'm already starting a list of other things he can do for me around the house while I'm "injured".

No comments:

Post a Comment