Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Look Mom, one hand!

I know, call me crazy (or stupid). 30 hours after almost losing my thumb, I was back in the gym. In my defense, the first 12 hours sucked with pain but when I woke up yesterday morning, I had virtually no pain. Also in my defense, I chose to attend the 530pm class, which is taught by CJ, so that I can ask his personal permission to work out, out of respect. (CJ Martin is the owner of Crossfit Invictus and is a genius)

The WOD involved heavy deadlifts and tall box jumps as the strength component, and pull ups, kb swings and running as the MetCon component. CJ showed me how to modify the first part as a one handed, one legged KB dead lift. Basically, I was balancing myself with my injured left hand on a rack and of course would use my right hand to lift the 53# Kettlebell. I started with standing straight up, then I would bring my hips back and as I squatted down to grab the kettlebell, my right leg would go straight back and up in the air so that I felt my left hamstring engage. Hence, why it was one legged as well as one handed. For the MetCon, we subbed out 20" box jumps for the pull ups, and I did all of my kettlebell swings as one handed.

The result? I learned that I can do 25 unbroken kettlebell swings with only one handed at 1 pood weight in all 3 rounds - heck yeah. As for today....such a weird feeling! My left butt cheek is soooooooooooooooooooo sore and my right leg is just fine so when I'm walking, it feels really weird and off-balanced. One legged/one handed KB deadlifts are now one of my favorite things, as I am pretty aware now that this is one helluva strengthing movement for the glutes.



No more hitchhiking for me until this baby heals :(

No comments:

Post a Comment