Sunday, January 16, 2011

Crossfit RVA - when two cults collide!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, there was once a time when I didn't Crossfit. (Yeah, hard to imagine, right?) Instead, I was part of another cult called The Hash House Harriers. H3 was started in 1938 in Malaysia by British soldiers and has become an international club - a drinking club with a running problem. So before I would travel to Crossfit, I would travel to "Hash". One thing lead to another and last year when I was in St Louis for their Green Dress Run, I met a guy who turned me on to an even better 'cult' known as Crossfitting. Now a days, I rarely hash anymore but I do find it awesome when I get to Crossfit with Hashers.

Which is what happened on Saturday. I've never met Diane/"Hoot" before but we became Facebook friends not too long ago because we both have a lot of mutual hash/crossfitter friends. When I found out I was going to be in VA for work and not very far from where she lives, I knew I had to drop in and finally meet her!

Enter Crossfit RVA, box #36.



This is really an awesome box; apparently the owner is as OCD about organization as I am because everything was so nice, clean and organized. Pretty bad ass, I loved it. When I first saw the WOD, however, I was a little worried. "Team Fran". Brandon assured us it wasn't as bad as it looks....

"Team Fran"

2 groups; 4 girls, 4 guys

10 burpees each to start
200 Thrusters (95/65)*
200 Pull Ups
10 burpees each to end

*The Thrusters bar cannot touch the ground or it's a burpees penalty. Someone stands at each end, when the CFer is done with their Thrusters, the bar is held up while the next person gets under it.

I really enjoyed this WOD; we split everything into sets of 10. I was able to quickly bust out 10 Thrusters and then rest while the three ladies did their sets.

Afterwards, WOD #2 was 45 min AMRAP of paleo breakfast and women gossip at the Urban Farm Eatery. I hope to drop into this box again the next time I'm in the area.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jaimie, sorry I didn't meet you when you came through, but glad to hear you had a good time!

    Come by again when you're in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely stop by again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete