Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Beast Mode: 2011!

I'm not a big fan of making "New Years Resolutions"; as a devoted Crossfit'er and Paleo lover, I try to live each day as "RX", as they say. So I don't make New Years Resolutions for myself and basically ignore everyone elses...however, I am definitely jumping on Crossfit Love's 30 Day Paleo Challenge. If I were to have any 'resolution' to start in January, it would be to use my crock pot slow cooker alot more often to make delicious, inexpensive Paleo-approved meals that I can 'nom' on for a week.

My first experiment? Beef Brisket. And it was a total success. Even my non-Paleo roommate loved it. This recipe made a huge crock pot full, which will last us for the week!



BEEF BRISKET WITH MIREPOIX

Mirepoix makes everything in life better.

For the meat:
3lb beef brisket
4c beef broth
1c red wine
4 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
3 bay leaves

For the mirepoix:
4 carrots diced very tiny
6 stalks celery diced very tiny
2 onions chopped fine
3 strips good salty, smoky, fatty bacon

Cute up Brisket into cubes and pre-cook the bacon in a pan. Pre-sauté veggies in the bacon grease, throw everything in the Crock pot. I cooked mine on high for 3 hours, and then on low for another 2-2.5. Meat came out perfect!

Today's MetCon at Lincoln Park Crossfit was a fun one for me! I really suck at Double Unders and have been practicing a lot this week; each day, they seem to be getting worse! Today was total beast mode though:

Strength: Push Press 3-3-3-3-3

Previous PR was on 10/28 at 105# x 2
Today I got 105# x 3 and 115# x 1

Conditioning: 225/135 and 24kg/16kg

21 Deadlift
21 Kettlebell Swings
50 Double Unders

15 Deadlift
15 KettleBell Swings
50 Double Unders

09 Deadlift
09 KettleBell Swings

I haven't been sleeping well this past week due to letting life get me down, so when I walked in to the 7am class exhausted this morning, I wasn't expecting Beast Mode at all. I did the MetCon at RX, got it in 12:24 and my DUs weren't so bad. I felt amazing after the MetCon - and rewarded myself with a nap :)

1 comment:

  1. Keep the paleo recipes coming

    It is always nice to get a comment

    ReplyDelete