Saturday, November 13, 2010

My Kick Ass Crossfit Birthday!

Originally for my birthday weekend, I was going to fly to San Antonio to run the Rock and Roll Half and make a long overdue visit to some friends. A few weeks out, I did a 180 and switched up the plans - I decided to fly to the NC coast to surprise my parents. It was one of the best things I've done all year!

I spent Friday morning (11/12) doing 'Tabata Something' with some Marines on Cherry Point base with the super friendly folks at CrossFit Cherry Point. It was definitely a blast and an honor to work out with them the day after Veterans Day. My only regret was not being able to return on Saturday for their WOD/BBQ.



My pull ups were shit (seriously, only 20?! And with a thin band too) but I was pretty strong on the other movements. Wish I had gotten 3 more pull ups to make it an even 300!



Saturday, 11/13: What better way to spend your birthday than 3 hours in a stellar CrossFit box?! My original plan was to head to CrossFit Coastal because their schedule said they had a ~2 hour OLY training class from 10am - 12pm and I really wanted to do some OLY practice with only 4 weeks left until my meet. Hello to box #29, state #12.



I cannot say enough great things about CrossFit Coastal. They had a pretty spacious, well equiped box and everyone was super friendly! We started the day with a 1030am Team WOD - what better way to get to know people?! I love team WODs and this one was fun! Zeke (owner) really put some thought into writing it on the board! :)



Before the team WOD, a few of the CrossFitters helped me perfect my kipping pull up; I can't do them unbroken yet but I have the techique down and I'm well on my way! (1st accomplishment of the day)

After the team WOD, Jane coached me on how to work my feet and legs to climb ropes, which I have never done before. Let's just say, now you can't keep me off 'em!! (Accomplishment #2)



I had made a "GOALS" list on Thursday night of movements I want to perfect before competing in sectionals in February and rope climbs were one of them - scratch that off the list!

Jane and I cheered each other on during our OLY practice and we both finished with PRs:

Snatch: 85#
Clean & Jerk: 115#

I'm pretty sure I could get a 120# C&J, I was so close!, but after 2.5 hours of CFing....my body was juice-less at this point.

This sign sums up my day; I was hella motivated and I left with 2 new PRs, plus pull ups and rope climbs under my belt. Best birthday ever. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment